From the Richmond Whig, 5/12/1865
THE LIBBY PRISON SIGN. – Col. Stetson, of the Astor House, New York, has
received, through Adams’ Express Company, from Richmond, the sign that used to
distinguish the former Libby Prison. The sign is now in the possession of
Colonel F. E. Howe, at the New England Rooms, No. 194 Broadway, where it can be
seen. It is a common sign-board, with the name of "L. Libby & Son, Ship
Chandlers," painted thereon. There is not much in the sign itself, but as a sign
of the times the sign of the "Libby" in New York is significant.