Richmond Whig, 2/24/1864

Written Accounts
Other Sites

Back • Next


From the Richmond Whig, 2/24/1864, p. 1, c. 4

THE NEW ALMS HOUSE. - The pertinacity with which the Confederate authorities hold on to the City Alms House, in the face of the repeated declarations of the Mayor that the building is needed by the city government, is somewhat surprising. If there was a scarcity of hospital accommodation in and near the city, the retention of the “Alms House” would be excusable, but, as everybody knows, the hospitals at Chimborazo, Camp Winder, Howard’s Grove, etc., afford ample room for all the sick and wounded soldiers brought to this military department. If they should be overrun, there are plenty of vacated factories which can be reoccupied as hospitals. We believe that if the Mayor would bring the subject formally to the notice of the City Council, that body would take such steps, by conference with the Surgeon General or otherwise, as would secure to the city the repossession of the building.

Page last updated on 07/16/2008