From the Richmond Whig, 8/31/1861
SYCAMORE HOSPITAL. - As we have heretofore stated, the
members of Sycamore Church have established a hospital for sick and
wounded Confederate soldiers; and have appointed the Sunday School rooms for
The hospital was opened on the 21st inst.
Appropriate officers have been appointed; day and night nurses of their own
membership and friends secured, and the entire work is now in systematic
operation. There are at present some thirty patients in the hospital. The
Superintendents, Messrs. Pettigrew and Dickinson appeal to their brethren and
friends in the country, and in the South generally, to aid them in this work of
patriotism and Christian beneficence. All hospital supplies will be duly
acknowledged, and faithfully appropriated to the objects contemplated by the
The establishment of this hospital does not interfere with
the worship. The regular Church services will take place to-morrow (Sunday,) at
11 A. M. and 4 1/2 P. M.