From the Richmond Whig, 8/31/1861

RICHMOND FEMALE INSTITUTE. - We have received a copy of the seventh annual circular and catalogue of the Richmond Female Institute - an institution which eminently deserves a continuance of the patronage heretofore so liberally accorded to it. The following “remarks” are submitted to the Directors, in their circular:

“The seat of government of the Confederate States having now been transferred to Richmond, the attractions of the city, its security, its advantages as a place for the liberal culture of young ladies, and its intimacy of connection with the rest of the South have been much enhanced.

It is hoped that there may be a hearty concurrence the determination that the Institute shall go on. Let the youth of the country be educated; and let not an unnecessary closing of our educational institutions be added to the other evils of this unholy war.”

With a spirit of liberality and patriotism which cannot be too highly commended, the Directors have decided to admit the daughters of volunteers, serving in the army of the Confederate States, free of charge, for tuition in the English branches.