From the Richmond Sentinel,
7/29/1863, p. 2, c. 4

Drewry’s Bluff. – This Gibraltar is growing rapidly to be quite a village. In addition to the soldiers’ quarters, neat log-houses have been erected for their families and the refugee ladies and children from Norfolk and Portsmouth. A hotel has been established and is doing a good business; a post-office is also in operation, with mail facilities with Richmond twice a day. It also contains a very neat chapel, the pulpit of which is filled by the ministers from the city on the Sabbath. Another attractive feature is the splendid market garden, cultivated by the soldiers, which furnishes them with an abundance of excellent vegetables.

 

Page last updated on 07/24/2009