From the Richmond Sentinel,
6/27/1863, p. 1, c. 2
When Gen. JACKSON was
wounded, his cap and the gloves which he wore, were left on the field where his
injuries were first examined. They were there found by a soldier of company G,
38th North Carolina regiment, PENDER’S brigade. His name is WM. D. H. COVINGTON, and he is
now in Chimborazo
Hospital. Mr. COVINGTON carefully preserved the interesting articles, and though
offered large sums for them by those who wished to possess these momentoes of
our great General, he was fixed in his purpose of delivering them to his family.
Through the aid of his Surgeon, Dr. BOWEN, he has found the opportunity of
sending the gloves. The cap is with Gen. PENDER.
We have seen the
gloves. “T. J. JACKSON, Virginia,” is printed neatly on the wrist of each. The
course of the fatal ball that wounded the wearer, is seen on both. – The
right-hand glove is cut by the ball just about the base of the thumb, but so
near the edge as apparently just to have grazed the flesh. The left-hand glove
was perforated on the wrist, near the top of the glove. The stain of the blood
which flowed from the wound is still upon the glove. The ball, after entering
the wrist, ran up the arm, rendering necessary its amputation above the elbow.
Mr. COVINGTON’S nice
feelings and sense of honor in reference to these relics are much to be
commended. Such a soldier is worthy to have such a General as JACKSON was.
last updated on