From the Richmond Examiner, 6/9/1864
SHIPMENT OF PRISONERS OF WAR. – Yesterday morning eleven
hundred of the Yankee Prisoners of war held in Richmond, and which have mainly
accumulated since General Lee commenced active operations on the Richmond lines,
was sent Southward, en route for Americus, Georgia. Today, one thousand more of
the same sort will follow. Between forty and fifty officers are included among
the prisoners forwarded.
GENERAL WINDER ORDERED TO AMERICUS, GA. – Brigadier
General John H. Winder, recently commanding the military department of Richmond,
and assigned to the post of Goldsboro, North Carolina, has subsequently received
additional orders instructing him to report to Americus, Georgia, with the
assumption of the command of the forces at Americus and the prison post at
Andersonville. This is a more important command than that to which General
Winder was first ordered, including, as it does, the care of twenty odd thousand
prisoners of war held at Andersonville. General Winder’s staff and attaches,
who accompanied him from Richmond, report with him at the latter post.
Andersonville is the grand depot of all the prisoners taken in the Southern
Confederacy, south of Richmond, and the Libby prison is the receiving depot of
those captured north of Richmond, but with Andersonville as their destination.
Colonel A. W. Person was in command at Andersonville previous to the ordering of
General Winder there, and it is probable he will remain in charge under the
command of the General.
Brigadier-General Baker has been assigned to the post of
Goldsboro’, vice General Winder ordered to Americus. Between General G. W.
Smith, in command of the Georgia reserves, and General Winder a warm intimacy
exists, and we anticipate the best results from the juxtaposition of their
last updated on