From the Richmond Examiner, 4/23/1864
HOSPITAL VEGETABLE GARDENS. – Camp Jackson Hospital, one of the chief
depots for the reception and care of the sick and wounded soldiers of the
Confederacy, under a humane and enterprising management, has set a laudable
example in the provision made for the health and comfort of its inmates.
Attached and contiguous to the hospital lies nearly forty acres of ground, most
of which has been cut up and divided into gardens for the cultivation and
raising of vegetables for the consumption of the patients of the wards. The
gardens are cultivated by the convalescent patients, and the yield this season
will be ample for all the wants of the inmates. Jackson Hospital is in charge of
Surgeon Hancock, with an able corps of assistants. The number of patients now in
the wards is about four hundred and eighty.
A project is now on foot to establish at the hospital a permanent library for
the instruction of the patients and the diversion of the mind from the ennui of
hospital confinement. To this end and appeal is made to those who have spare
books, of a judicious character, to contribute the same to this most worthy
object. Volumes of the proper character left at the Episcopal Repository, next
door to Woodhouse’s bookstore, Main street, or at the bookstore of Mr. Morris,
will reach the hospital.
last updated on