From the Richmond Examiner, 10/5/1863

SHOOTING AFFRAY AT THE LIBBY PRISON – THREE MEN SHOT. – About half past six o’clock on Friday evening, after the guard had been relieved at the Libby Prison, corner of Twentieth and Cary streets, private J. T. Newson, company C, Thirty-second North Carolina regiment, one of the relieved, started from his post for the barracks of the guard, corner of Twenty-fifth and Main streets. When Newson reached the corner of the encampment, opposite the prison, he met private Charles Johnson, company F, Twenty-fifth Virginia battalion. Johnson accosted Newson, and asked him what he cursed him for the day previous on the Castle guard posts. Newson replied that he had his orders to keep all persons away from the walls and he would do it irrespective of persons. Some hot words passed, when Newson pulled the oil cover from his musket and cocked it. Johnson turned off and left, and Newson kept on. After going a few steps he was encountered by Private Martin Gripp, company F, Twenty-fifth Virginia, and the two had some words. Gripp pulled off his overcoat and oil cloth, and told Newson to throw down his gun and he would fight him. Newson refused, and Gripp, walking up to him, slapped him in the face; whereupon, Newson ran back a few steps and, pulling up his gun, fired. The ball, a Minie, struck Gripp in the right shoulder, tearing out the flesh and making a severe wound, and, passing on, took effect in the left arm of private Frey, company A, Twenty-fifth Virginia battalion, shattering the bone. Private R. Morris, company D, Twenty-fifth Virginia battalion, was the next victim of the terribly effective bullet. Standing within range, nearer the prison, it struck him in the stomach, penetrating the intestines, and he too fell helpless and bleeding.

All three of the wounded were carried into the Libby Hospital, where Surgeon John Wilkins, in charge, examined their wounds. It was found necessary to amputate Frey’s arm. Probing failed to discover the ball in Morris’ stomach. He was removed on a stretcher to the boarding house of Mrs. Motley, in the upper part of the city, where he died on Saturday night.

As soon as Newson saw what he had done, he started and ran, but was pursued by some of the guard, and overtaken near the county court house, Main street. He was committed to Castle Thunder to await the result of the wounds upon his three companions, and a trial.

The tragedy was enacted in full view of all the prisoners confined in the Libby, and the next batch that goes North will furnish the Yankee press with a graphic account of a revolt among the guard at the prison, which ended in the shooting of a number of them, &c., &c.

Page last updated on 07/17/2008