From the Richmond Enquirer, 6/16/1864

THE WINDER HOSPITAL is the largest in the Confederacy, containing six separate divisions, each accommodating four hundred and fifty patients, under the control of a Division Surgeon. Tents, for seven hundred patients, have been recently raised for convalescents. Surgeon A. G. Lane, by whom the hospital was organized in the Spring of 1862, is in charge. The number of beds in each ward of the hospital has been lately increased one-third; this will make the capacity of the hospital, including the tents, 4300. The hospital has been recently re-modeled and repaired. The improvements add greatly to its convenience. It is healthily located, and supplied by wells with clear, cold, pleasant water. Has a register, bath house, library, and a bakery at which the whole of the bread for the hospital is baked. The first division of the hospital is assigned to the accommodation of soldiers from Georgia, and the remaining five to those from North Carolina. There are now 2129 patients in the hospital under treatment.

Page last updated on 01/15/2008