From the Richmond Dispatch, 4/17/1889
LIBBY PRISON REMOVAL.
The Work to Be Commenced in a Few Days.
Mr. Louis Rawlings, of Rawlings & Rose, the agents who
negotiated the sale of the Libby-Prison property, stated yesterday that the
purchasers have leased a site in Chicago for the building, have dug the
foundation, and in four or five days the work of tearing down and removing the
old prison will begin.
THE NEW SITE.
The building is to be re-erected on a lot on Wabash avenue
between Fourteenth and Fifteenth streets. It is 286x166 feet and has been leased
for a term of ninety-nine years at $7,000 per annum. Every stone, brick, timber,
and nail of the present building will, as far as possible, be used in its former
place in rebuilding the structure.
Messrs. Woodward & Crilly, of Chicago, have secured the
entire contract, which includes tearing down, packing on cars, railroad, and
other transportation and rebuilding.
They have made arrangements with the Chesapeake and Ohio
Company for the transportation. When the lot is cleared it will be sold at
auction by Rawlings & Rose unless the city desires to secure it for a public
park, in which case it will be given to the city by the owners under certain
Since the Libby has been fenced in and a fee charged for
admission to it the owners have realized about $50 per week from curious
visitors – northern people mostly.
The city will be asked to give leave for the erection of a
derrick in Dock street to assist in loading the material on trains; if it
refuses the derrick will be put in the building.
Cars can be loaded at the Dock-street doors of the prison
and thence run to Chicago.
last updated on