Richmond Dispatch, 8/2/1862

Home
Written Accounts
Photographs
Maps
Hospitals
Prisons
Other Sites
Events
Search
Links

Back • Next

 

From the Richmond Dispatch, 8/2/1862, p. 3, c. 2

“FORT DARLING”

It is well known that the Yankees, in all their allusions to our batteries at Drewry’s Bluff, have applied to them the name “Fort Darling,” and some indignation has been manifested at their assumption of the right to christen a locality which the South has made formidable. It is not, however, original with them, for that portion of the shore of James River will be found designated on some of the old maps as “Darling’s Point,” from which they borrowed the idea; but the name should be forever ignored in the Confederate States, because it was fished up by the Yankees from the depths of the almost oblivious past, and because “Fort Drewry,” the term given it by those who gallantly repulsed the enemy’s best gunboats, is not only proper as a compliment to one of our commanders, but in every respect applicable to the locality.

 

 

 

 

Page last updated on 01/15/2008