From the Richmond Dispatch, 12/14/1861, p. 2, c. 4
The Public Guard. – Since the Armory buildings were
transferred to the Confederate States, the corps known as the Public Guard have
lacked the accommodations necessary to the preservation of their efficiency.
Instead of having a suitable barracks, the man are scattered in such places as
the authorities were able to obtain, though altogether unsuitable and
inconvenient. The construction of a new building in some eligible location, for
permanent quarters, is desireable, and the General Assembly would do a good
thing in adopting measures for such a purpose.
last updated on