From the Richmond Dispatch, 10/18/1861, p. 2, c. 3
The Free Schools of
Richmond. Ė The Board of School
Commissioners of this city is composed of Messrs. R. R. Howison, (President;) W.
H. Richardson, A. T. Harris, T. J. Evans, James H. Grant, M. Gretter, A. Y.
Stokes and John L. Bacon, and John Dove, (Secretary.) According to the report
lately made to the Hustings Court, the appropriations for the year ending
September 30, 1861, were as follows: Lancastrian School $600, Female Humane
Association $500, Male Orphan Asylum $450, Clay Street Chapel School $350,
Tredegar Free School $200, Monroe Ward do., No. 3, $350, Monroe Ward do., No. 4,
$350, Jefferson Ward do., No. 1, $600; Bethel School $250, St. Paulís Chapel
report for the past year shows that he has received the following sums: School
quota for the year, $1,362.84; capitation tax for the same time, $2,129.44;
balance per report of 1860, $655.07; total $4,147.35; and that he has disbursed
$3,706.72, leaving a balance of $440.63.
The aggregate number of
indigent children attending the nine schools is 1,326; who have attended in the
aggregate, 104,741 days; the average attendance of each child was 80 days, and
the average expense of each to the Board was about 3 cents per day. The
Superintendent reiterates the assurance that the system of primary schools is
effecting great good in this portion of the Commonwealth.
Dr. John Dove has been
reappointed Superintendent of Schools for the year ending September 30, 1862.
last updated on