From the Richmond Daily Dispatch, 5/15/1861
Howard’s Grove. - The Howitzer battalion, with the exception of a
detachment of forty-five men, down the river on duty, are now encamped at
Howard’s Grove, on the Mechanicsville Turnpike road. The place was used as a
camp-ground during the last war, and has, for the last half century, been known
by that name.
last updated on