From the Richmond Dispatch, 11/12/1860, p. 2, c. 2

Gen. Henry Lee.

The remains of this distinguished officer, who is better known by the sobriquet of "Light-Horse HARRY LEE," derived from his brilliant services as commander of the famous Legion which performed so many signal exploits in the South Carolina Campaigns, lie buried in the garden of a Mr. NIGHTENGALE, a grandson of Gen. NATHANIEL GREENE, in the Island of Cumberland, off the coast of Georgia. Not a stone marks the grave of a man who was esteemed the best cavalry officer of his day who was, above all his compeers, the personal friend of WASHINGTON whom WASHINGTON selected as his second in command when it was supposed that we were to have a war with France who spent seven years of the seed time and harvest of his life in the military service of his country - who was Governor of Virginia and who poured out his money and his blood like water, in defence of our rights.

It is a reproach to Virginia that this thing should be so. Yet we are pleased to believe that it will no longer continue to be so. It is well known that "Camp LEE" was named after General LEE, the most brilliant and successful of all our cavalry officers. We know not whether the name suggested the scheme; but a petition to the Legislature to remove the remains of Gen. LEE, bring them here, and erect a monument over them, was drawn up by a gentleman of this city, (Mr. PEYTON JOHNSTON,) presented for signatures to the corps encamped at "Camp LEE," and signed, we understand, by the whole body. Doubtless, it will not fail of its effect. There can be no reason to believe that the Legislature will not discharge such an obvious duty, when once reminded of it.

Page last updated on 07/24/2009