Information about General Hospital #3 in Richmond, VA during
the Civil War.
Also called: Byrd Island Hospital, Gilliam's Factory Hospital, Gilham's
Hospital. Tobacco factory of George W. William and Brother Company. Taken over
by the Confederacy as a hospital15 August 1861. Capacity about 225 patients. Dr.
Alexander Yelverton P. Garnett, surgeon-in-charge. Location: near south end of 9th
Street, near the James River. (from Confederate Military Hospitals in
Richmond by Robert W. Wait, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War
Centennial committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)
article on RR accident in city, on 8th st - two injuries, canal bridge
damaged, etc. On tracks connecting R&P w/ RF&P. Also boy run over on Broad,
on connecting tracts between RF&P & Va. Cent. Byrd Island Hospital and
Spotswood Hotel mentioned.
1862; Congressional report
describing the Richmond hospital system. Notes that State hospitals are
superior to the Government ones. Describes the "Bird's Island Hospital" as
"obnoxious," but describes the General Hospital, Banner Hospital, and
Royster's factory favorably. Says that Royster's is a "model of neatness."
Also comments negatively on the system of furloughs and discharges
In the National Archives:
Record Group 109, (ch. VI, vol. 711). 2 in.
Morning Reports of Patients and Attendants,
General Hospitals No. 1-4, 7-8, 12-20, 22-23, and 25-27. 1862-65. 1 vol.Daily reports showing the number of patients in hospital, in private
quarters, received, returned to duty, transferred, furloughed, deserted,
discharged, died, and remaining; the number of medical officers, stewards,
nurses, cooks, and laundresses present for duty; and remarks. Arranged by
hospital number, thereunder chronologically, and thereunder by State of
patient's organization. The dates given are inclusive; not all hospitals
have reports for all dates.