Information about General Hospital #22 in Richmond, VA during
the Civil War.
Also called: Howard’s Factory Hospital, Howard Hospital, North Carolina
Hospital. Formerly tobacco factory of George D. Howard Company. Three-storied,
A-roofed, brick building. Opened in 1862. Closed 22 July 1864. Capacity about
110 employees 44. Dr. Addison C. Fox, surgeon-in-charge. "Praised for good work
with desperate cases" on 19 May 1863. Location: On the north side of Main
street, northeast corner of 26th. Atkinson's Factory appears to be
the same building.
no date; excellent description
of hospital stay in GH#22 and Winder Hospital. Excellent physical
In the National Archives:
Record Group 109, (ch. VI, vol. 711). 2 in.
Morning Reports of Patients and Attendants,
General Hospitals No. 1-4, 7-8, 12-20, 22-23, and 25-27. 1862-65. 1 vol.
Daily reports showing the number of patients in hospital, in private
quarters, received, returned to duty, transferred, furloughed, deserted,
discharged, died, and remaining; the number of medical officers, stewards,
nurses, cooks, and laundresses present for duty; and remarks. Arranged by
hospital number, thereunder chronologically, and thereunder by State of
patient's organization. The dates given are inclusive; not all hospitals
have reports for all dates.