Information about General Hospital #19 in Richmond, VA
during the Civil War.
Also called: Third Georgia Hospital. Probably tobacco factory of
A. W. Taylor Company. Four-storied, dormer-roofed building. Opened
June 1862. Capacity over 75. Closed December 1863. Location:
probably southeast corner of 24th
and Franklin Streets. (from
Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert W. Waitt, Jr.,
Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee, Richmond,
Enormous list of wounded by hospital: Central Depot; Third Georgia; Royster;
First Alabama; St. Charles; Keen, Baldwin & Williams; Kent; Christian &
Lea’s; Ligon; Globe; Third Alabama; Institute; Fourth Georgia
9/1862 - 7/1863; Statistics of General Hospital
#19 - hospital closed after July, 1863
OR supplement, 83: 563
Nov. 1863; A company of 18th Va.
In the National Archives:
Record Group 109, (ch. VI, vol. 711). 2 in.
Morning Reports of Patients and Attendants,
General Hospitals No. 1-4, 7-8, 12-20, 22-23, and 25-27. 1862-65. 1 vol.
Daily reports showing the number of patients in hospital, in private
quarters, received, returned to duty, transferred, furloughed, deserted,
discharged, died, and remaining; the number of medical officers, stewards,
nurses, cooks, and laundresses present for duty; and remarks. Arranged by
hospital number, thereunder chronologically, and thereunder by State of
patient's organization. The dates given are inclusive; not all hospitals
have reports for all dates.