Information about General Hospital #17 in Richmond, VA during
the Civil War.
Also called: Fourth Georgia Hospital. Formerly tobacco factory of Smith and
McCurdey. Destroyed in evacuation fire. Opened 19 May 1862. Report of 7 June
1862 lists 86 patients, but capacity was over 125. Location: westside of 21st
Street, between Main and Cary Streets, about mid-block, just north of General
Hospital #16. (from Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond
by Robert W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial
committee, Richmond, Virginia 1964.)
Enormous list of wounded by hospital: Central Depot; Third Georgia; Royster;
First Alabama; St. Charles; Keen, Baldwin & Williams; Kent; Christian &
Lea’s; Ligon; Globe; Third Alabama; Institute; Fourth Georgia
4/4/1865; excellent account of
the evacuation and burning of Richmond; mentions Smith's factory, "on 21st
In the National Archives:
Record Group 109, (ch. VI, vol. 711). 2 in.
Morning Reports of Patients and Attendants,
General Hospitals No. 1-4, 7-8, 12-20, 22-23, and 25-27. 1862-65. 1 vol.Daily reports showing the number of patients in hospital, in private
quarters, received, returned to duty, transferred, furloughed, deserted,
discharged, died, and remaining; the number of medical officers, stewards,
nurses, cooks, and laundresses present for duty; and remarks. Arranged by
hospital number, thereunder chronologically, and thereunder by State of
patient's organization. The dates given are inclusive; not all hospitals
have reports for all dates.