Information about General Hospital #11 in Richmond, VA
during the Civil War.
Also called: Globe Hospital, Florida Hospital. Formerly tobacco factory of
James H. Grant and Company (not to be confused with his brother William’s
factory, see General Hospital #12). Built 1853. Still standing partially.
Records cover June 1862 through September 1863. Capacity seems to be about 150.
Location: west side of first block of north 19th Street, near
Franklin. Present site of 8-10-12 North 19th
Street. (from Confederate Military Hospitals in Richmond by Robert
W. Waitt, Jr., Official Publication #22 Richmond Civil War Centennial committee,
Richmond, Virginia 1964.)
Enormous list of wounded by hospital: Central Depot; Third Georgia; Royster;
First Alabama; St. Charles; Keen, Baldwin & Williams; Kent; Christian &
Lea’s; Ligon; Globe; Third Alabama; Institute; Fourth Georgia
1/13/1864; Texas, Alabama Hospitals, GH#10,
GH#11 permanently closed and patients moved to Howard's Grove.
W. W. Hubbard CSR, M331
various dates; list of supplies for the Florida
St. George T. Peachy CSR, M331
various dates; rations etc. for GH#11
In the National Archives:
Record Group 109,
(ch. VI, vol. 361). 1 in.
Letters, Orders, and Circulars Received, General Hospital No. 11.
1862-63. 1 vol.Copies of orders and circulars issued by the
Adjutant and Inspector General's Department, the Surgeon General's
Office, and the Medical Director's Office in Richmond, the Department of
Richmond, the Department of Northern Virginia, and the Department of
Virginia and North Carolina (also called Department of North Carolina
and Southern Virginia); of letters received, mainly from the Chief
Surgeon's Office, Department of Richmond, and the Medical Director's
Office in Richmond; and copies of a few letters sent. Arranged
chronologically. This hospital was also known as Florida Hospital.